Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Hell's Kitchen: History repeating

I'm having the strangest feeling of déjà vu. And it's all Gordon Ramsay's fault.

Both last season and this season on Hell's Kitchen, the competition has boiled down to a final two consisting of a confident, assertive, capable chef, and a less experienced chef who owes her rise to the top to a palate that won't quit and, quite possibly, Chef Ramsay's hots for her. I mean, it may be just a coincidence that Bonnie and Virginia were the cutest chefs of their respective seasons, or it may be what sustained them through several eliminations. But there's no denying that Rock and Heather were both the frontrunners of their respective seasons, and I'm not just saying that because so many bets came in on Rock at the beginning of the season that betting was suspended on bodog.com.

Last season, though, the choice was clear. I'd been a fan of Heather for a while, and I was so happy to see her in the finale because she was the best of her season. This season, I don't know. I've never really felt like Bonnie was ready – she needed to spend a little more time in a restaurant kitchen – and Rock – what's the opposite of "grow on"? "Grow off"? If it is, then Rock has grown off me. As the season progressed, he became more of a bully, and his temper flared up more, often disproportionately to whatever the little annoyance was that pissed him off.

So who's going to win next week? If history is any indication, it'll be Rock. And who do I want to win? Rock again. I'm not a fan of his, but he is the better chef, he knows his way around a kitchen, and he knows what he's doing. Besides, it's not like there's anyone else from the ranks of the flame-outs that I want to see come back from elimination and win this thing, except maybe for Brad or Julia. Man, how awesome would it be if Brad and Julia were fighting it out?

0 comments: