Saturday, September 22, 2007

Fall Preview: The Big Bang Theory

As you read this review, please keep in mind that I am extremely picky about television comedies. Especially multi-camera ones with a laugh track. So, now that you have context that will possibly make this review predictable and meaningless, here it is: I really, really didn't like The Big Bang Theory. And not just because it's from the twisted mind that unleashed Two and a Half Men upon us, either. It's because the entire premise of the show is one giant nerd stereotype, and you won't find the jokes funny unless you find the stereotype funny. Here's a sample piece of dialogue:

Nerd #1: We need to widen our [social] circle.
Nerd #2: I have a very wide circle. I have 212 friends on MySpace. [Audience laughs]
Nerd #1: Yes, and you've never met one of them. [Audience laughs harder]
Nerd #2: That's the beauty of it! [Audience pees their pants]

Yeah. The show is about a ditzy blonde who moves in across the hall from two extremely stereotypical nerds, one of whom may have a mild form of Asperger syndrome, the other of whom wants to "big bang" the neighbor, if you catch my drift. It's full of jokes about playing Boggle in Klingon, watching Battlestar Galactica DVDs, and doing quantum mechanics for fun. The raucous canned laughter only serves to emphasize how unfunny the dialogue is, though the three lead actors certainly do their best with it. Given the choice between watching a dark TV screen and watching The Big Bang Theory, I'd probably go with the dark screen...at least that's meditative, right? Just so you know when to avoid turning your TV to CBS, the show premieres Monday, September 24th at 8:30.

2 comments:

NameHere said...

Have you seen the clips from the second episode?

They look much better:
Preview #1
Preview #2

Liz said...

Better? Maybe, though that's not a huge accomplishment. They do seem to have toned down the character with glasses a bit. I'll upgrade it to "I'd watch it if it were playing on a transatlantic flight, I had finished my book, and my ipod was out of batteries. But still probably not more than one episode in a row."