Thursday, September 27, 2007

Grey's Anatomy: We're all freaking out

Oh. My. God. Ohmygod. OMG. (Deep breaths, deep breaths.) Okay. Phew. So. I told myself over the summer that Grey's and I were through. That it went way, way downhill last season (true story), and that I would only watch it critically, with appropriate detachment and probable mocking this season. And now? I'm kind of sucked back in. Sigh. This was so predictable. Does anyone else hate themselves a little for still getting into this show? Because I do, and more than a little. This episode wasn't even that great, for godsakes!

All episodes have a theme, of course, and this week's installment was all about change, or lack thereof. The more things change: Burke is gone, Meredith and Derek are broken up, Meredith's sister is an intern, almost everyone's a resident, and Callie is chief resident and possibly pregnant. The more they stay the same: George is still an intern, Callie is still getting crapped on, Meredith and Derek are still having sex, Bailey is still kicking ass and taking names, and Gizzie's reign of terror continues unabated. ARGH. We'll get into that later.

Oh, and there are also still quirky cases (man eats enough coins to do a month's worth of laundry, plus some medical equipment and cotton balls), cases that parallel our characters' lives (pregnant woman tries to go it alone, but realizes that you need people to rely on in case things go wrong; Izzie tries to save a deer when everyone else has given up on it, or didn't care in the first place), and heart-wrenching cases (internally decapitated man and his loving family prepare for him to die in surgery). So not much difference there, either.

Since I'm apparently on a roll with the lists, here are the things I loved about the episode, in no particular order:

  • The speech the new residents gave to their new interns, which mimicked the speech Bailey gave them in the show's pilot episode. Aww, they're all grown up!
  • That Alex is clearly still in love with Eva/Rebecca, even while he's pretending to lust over other girls (like Meredith's sister, ew).
  • McSteamy's "I came to Seattle to get you back" speech to Derek. I can hear the clickity clack of a thousand new slash fics being written right this very instant...
  • The fact that when Callie was bemoaning her life, instead of caving and giving her some sage advice on how to deal with the interns, Bailey just said, "Hope tomorrow's better." Love! Her!
  • Izzie's fierce speech to her interns at the end of the episode, in which she called them all duds. God, I hope we see more of that Izzie this season.
  • Lexie. I think. Maybe. Although the whole history with Derek and the flirting at the bar is more than a bit much.

Here are the things that made me mad (either on behalf of the characters, or because it actually pissed me off), in no particular order except that the last item on the list outweighs all others, plus everything on the previous list, too:

  • That the Chief gave Callie the chief resident position just so that Bailey could focus on becoming a great surgeon, even though he thought she'd be great at it. Um, not really your call to make, Chief. She applied, so you should have considered her on her merits.
  • Izzie's "I'm Bambi! All alone in the forest!" speech. Um, yeah. That's taking the metaphor a bit too far. Or at least spelling it out too much.
  • That George won't just freaking tell everyone that he blames them a little for his failing the intern exam. Man up, George!
  • That when George did man up, it was to tell Izzie that he loves her, too. NOOOOOO! I thought we were going to wash our hands of this Gizzie business, for once and for all! This is going to put a serious damper on my enjoyment of the show. Seriously.

There's a lot more to get in to, but I could probably rant and rave about this show (or anything else, for that matter) forever, so I think I'll just leave you with this quote from Meredith: "Much better to be alone and be a success, than be in a relationship and feel like a failure all the time." Hmm. I guess everyone in this episode is much better off, then, since they were all so completely, completely alone. Hear that, George and Izzie?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I soo know how you feel about this show. great post.

umberhaven said...

I agree that the show went downhill last season, and because of that, the show is on the bubble for me. If it doesn't get better, it's my first choice for dropping and making time for other shows.

I do agree with some of your points about the premiere though. I like that Bailey is so cool and in charge, even when she's not "in charge." I also think I like Lexie, but it may be too soon to tell.

I'm also getting tired of certain aspects of George's mindset and behavior. In a way, I don't blame him for avoiding everyone since their problems keep dragging him down. Now that he's been accepted among the interns, maybe he'll become cooler this season.

I also agree about Izzie's "I'm Bambi" speech. That was the worst part of the episode and one of the reasons I'm tempted to dump the show. They consistently write Izzie some of the worst, most melodramatic dialogue I've ever heard. I even mentioned the "Bambi" quote, specifically, in my review of the episode.

Liz said...

Yeah, the writing especially has gone downhill for sure. And writing is pretty key on a show where many of the main characters are rather unlikeable (coughMeredithcough). I'm just hoping, like umberhaven, that the new characters might freshen things up a little.