Thursday, September 20, 2007

Fall Preview: Chuck

I have to say, when I saw the previews for Chuck, NBC's new nerd-turned-spy action comedy, I was skeptical. It looked to be heavy on the geek-mocking and light on the actual comedy, and I didn't think the concept would hold up for one hour, let alone an entire season. Plus, I wasn't sure executive producer Josh Schwartz could branch out from The OC's soap satire to something more conventionally funny. Now that I've seen the pilot, however, I'm completely on board. In fact, I loved it!
The premise, if you've somehow missed the zillions of commercials NBC has been running, is that nerdy tech guy Chuck has been sent a file containing all of the government's biggest secrets, which were subliminally encoded into his head upon his viewing the file. See why I was skeptical? But the writing is great, Zachary Levi is extremely likeable as the titular character, and the show is so darn fun to watch that you find yourself intentionally ignoring any plot points that strain credulity (like, all of them). Here's hoping they can keep it up!

In fact, I had so much fun watching it that I'm reluctant write any more about what happens in the episode, because you guys should probably just see for yourselves. So if you're in the mood for an entertaining action comedy, with just a bit of drama and intrigue built in, I definitely recommend that you watch Chuck, Mondays at 8 on NBC (or DVR it and watch after How I Met Your Mother is over...your call). Premieres September 24th, or check out the pilot now on Yahoo TV.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw the pilot at Comic-Con in July, and it was met with cheers and a standing ovation by a room full of geeks. Definitely bodes well... I hope they can keep it up, too!

Liz said...

That's a good sign! And it's definitely being promoted by NBC, so I'm hopeful.