Friday, January 19, 2007

Grey's Anatomy: Team Addison

Right, so…is Addison rapidly becoming anyone else’s favorite character on Grey’s Anatomy? I mean, I’ve been a huge fan of hers for a long time now, but I think this week she actually managed to bump Bailey – Bailey! – out of the top slot.

She’s smart, she’s confident, she’s sexy, she’s interesting, and she’s actually grown as a person since we met her. I’ve said for a long time now that the mark of Grey’s Anatomy as good television is the fact that Shonda Rhimes has managed to slowly worm Addison into our hearts. First she was despised, then tolerated, begrudgingly respected, guiltily liked, legitimately liked and now, at least for me, beloved. I even like this new subplot with Alex. Addison has made me like Alex! Up is down! North is south! Crazy is sane!

So right, aside from my full-blown love affair with Addison, what else happened last night? Let’s see…Anne from Arrested Development (Her?) got to stand up straight, Izzie thinks she can be a surgeon who is personally involved with her patients (fair enough…it made her a millionaire the first time), George’s dad died (and I may have almost cried), Burke and Cristina came closer to talking (I didn’t come closer to caring), Addison chose not to have McSteamy’s baby nine months ago, and Meredith sorta kinda had a meaningful conversation with her dad. Oh, and Addison and Alex totally made out. ‘Cause that’s how the Golden Globe winner for Best Drama rolls.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Liz,

Earlier today I began a TiFaux post about my newfound (or has it been there all along) love for Addison. It was probably stemming from the "you'd be a terrible father speech."

Damn you for beating me to the punch. I haven't read your post yet (only the headline and first line), but expect a "ditto" from me early next week.

TiFaux Dan.

Liz said...

Hahaha! Well, how could anyone NOT love Addison after last night? I mean, seriously. Seriously.

Sorry for stealing your Addison-loving thunder!

Anonymous said...

Well maybe I'm the only one but I don't like the Alex/Addison hookup. I agree that Addison has become much more likeable and really, so has Alex. But I like them better as colleagues. I would love for Alex to give up on plastics once and for all and admit that gyn is really the place for him. Addison could teach him to be a kick-ass surgeon in that specialty and they could have a great working relationship but not a romantic one!

Liz said...

Yes, well, the Alex/Addison thing won't be anything in the long-term, hopefully (I mean, come on, ANOTHER intern/attending relationship?), but in the short-term they have GREAT chemistry, and she's obviously in a bad place with the baby thing, so I can't object to a little fling action. But yes, I agree that in the scheme of things I'd prefer a working relationship rather than a romantic one between the two of them.

Anonymous said...

yes, I too am on the Addison love train.

(a part of me is hoping Shonda can pull a miracle cure out of her butt and get us to love Burktina/ and possibly even Isaiah Washington again?)

Liz said...

Hmm...if she could make me love Burktina it would make her a miracle worker. I think my esteem Isaiah, unfortunately, is beyond resurrection.

Anonymous said...

I've been crazy about Addison ever since she told the pregnant woman in the 2nd season premiere that she needed to apologize to Meredith. It's been love ever since.

Ishita said...

Omg, Diana, I finally found another person who loves her since the start (almost). Addison is just such a great character, she stood up for what was right, without being judgemental. She never vilifies Meredith, is always more than civil to her, the civility which Meredith mostly doesn't bother to return or acknowledge (remember the coffee juju?). She makes a sincere effort to get back with Shephard. I dunno, my heart just goes out to her. Also, she's HOT. Like I have a hugeee girl crush on her. I've never like a female charcter more on a sitcom.

Ishita said...

Good lord, did I just say sitcom. Ugh. Must sleep.