Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Veronica Mars: Country Hooker Jamboree

Veronica Mars: it's a detective show for the whole family. What could be more wholesome than a daughter giving her dad tips on stripping, a hooker jamboree, or a judge with tickle-fight proclivities? It's funny that the show is paired with Gilmore Girls, because, while both shows do have the rapid-fire, sharp dialogue, that's the only thing they have in common. Consider the characters: on Veronica Mars, they're smart, tough, and witty, while on Gilmore Girls, there are few characters left I'd run into a burning house to save. Heck, I'd throw Kirk into the inferno.

But anyway, this post is about Veronica Mars, and we might as well start with the hooker jamboree. Max, who you may remember as the guy who runs himself a successful little cheating business, hires Veronica to help him find the girl of his dreams. Who is a hooker. Veronica is as skeptical of romance as ever (I love consistency in a character), and thinks Wendy the Hooker is playing Max, but she isn't – she really likes him. Sadly, they break up, because the show isn't big on going for the happy endings. Not that I'm complaining – I like that VM is willing to go for disappointing, but realistic, resolutions. In one case, however, I could really use any ending at all. Veronica learns this week that while she and Logan were on a break, he had a fling with Madison Sinclair. And I've already made my feelings on their relationship very clear, but honestly, do they have to have some sort of crisis of trust every week?

Keith's still on the Dean O'Dell case, and this week he's following the trail of eggs left by the feminists. To question them, he breaks out his old sheriff's uniform, and while he's quickly busted by Nish, he at least gets a great throwaway scene with Lamb out of it. It's classic. And he does come away with the knowledge that someone else in the dean's family was at his office the night he died. Stepson, maybe? Also: Keith sings, and it makes me want a musical episode of Veronica Mars. Hey, we already know Kristen Bell can sing.

Special for Sagehens in the reading audience: Give yourself 50 points if, after the mention of "a tiny West Coast liberal arts college no one's ever heard of," you said, "Pomona!"

4 comments:

Liz said...

Hmm...didn't Rob Thomas say in the TWOP interview that you'd know VMars had jumped the shark when they did a musical episode, because only KB can sing? Or am I just making that up?

Unknown said...

Totally random, and on the topic of the jumping of the shark, I've started to hear that being said about 24. Thoughts, ladies?

Also, yeah, I'll admit, I totally thought, "we are not alone!"

Sagehens 4 eva.

Liz said...

Hrmm...I don't watch 24, but if it's possibly to jump the shark through actions outside the show, then it jumped the shark for me last year when some of its actors and creators appeared on a (crazy conservative) Heritage Foundation panel about the "war on terror." That's just too much overtly making your show into a tool for the right wingers for me, thankyouverymuch.

Unknown said...

I'm so taking the fifty points here.

I really liked the way they handled the stuff with Max and Wendy. Which makes me wonder why the show is making me so tired of Logan and Veronica. Maybe my rewatch of season 1 next weekend will remind me why this was such a good pairing in the first place. Now? Bored.