Thursday, March 29, 2007

24: Fine!

Last night's South Park did a great job satirizing the conventions of 24: Cartman's raspy whisper, the scene in the bathroom, Kyle's bedroom being absorbed by Homeland Security, like CTU last year, and then by the FBI and ATF, and intolerance of Muslims saving everyone's lives (if only those two guys had been allowed to beat up Ahmed!). But there's one thing that I would have liked to see them throw into the mix: the 24 "Fine." My parents, avid 24 watchers, have recently started tracking the number of times per episode that the characters grump, "Fine," and it's become their favorite huffy, dismissive acknowledgement. If you're a 24 fan, you know what I mean:

Milo: Chloe, I need you to take this technojargon and cross-reference it with this other technojargon. And do it now!
Chloe: Fine!

Jack: I need two tac teams, surveillance, a perimeter, the latest issue of Seventeen, and a pony!
Buchanan: We don't have much time, Jack. All I can promise you is the pony.
Jack: Fine!

They've even started using it with other shows:

Dr. Kelso: Listen, Jumpsuit, I thought I told you to get down to the third floor and clean up that toddler puke.
Mom and Dad: Fine!

And it's only a matter of time before it bleeds over to real life:

Me: Mom, can I borrow that book you're reading after you're done?
Mom: Fine!
Me: Did you just "fine" me?

It really is strangely addicting. Try it yourselves!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fine!