Friday, March 16, 2007

Grey's Anatomy: People...who need peeeople...

Last time on Grey's Anatomy: Meredith didn't die. But her mom did. This week on Grey's Anatomy: blah blah blah my people blah blah IZZIE AND GEORGE SLEEP TOGETHER. Yeah. Let's break it down:

Meredith, who has a new lease on life (...again), lets Alex move into George's old room, because she's trying to be nice to her "people," or something. Izzie is afraid this means George won't have anywhere to go when his marriage inevitably falls apart. Thanks to some serious pushing by her dad's wife and a truly awkward dinner, by the end of the episode Meredith has the beginnings of family instead of just "people." Which is good, because her people are in trooouble.

Case in point: Cristina, whose engagement with Burke is in serious peril. Turns out, Cristina is one of those students...the ones who sleep with their professors. Or, in this case, have a three-year-long relationship with their professor, reject multiple marriage proposals from said professor due to a disbelief in the institution of marriage, and move to Seattle and start sleeping with their attending. Which is all well and good, but a bit more awkward when said professor turns out to not only be a legendary thoracic surgeon, but also a candidate for Chief. (And, I'm pretty sure, played by Lord John Marbury from The West Wing, which is pretty funny.) None of this bodes well for Burktina.

George and Izzie (and George and Callie) are also in trouble after Callie makes the mistake of angrily telling George she thinks Izzie likes him. Likes him, likes him. George laughs all over her, pointing out how hot and out of his league Izzie is, which...true, but probably not something you want to say to your wife. Especially when one of the only things you can come up with to compliment her after that slap in the face is that she's "curvy." Yeesh. So yeah, flash forward to George and Izzie getting sloshed and waking up naked the next morning. Oh, and Callie is apparently totally rich. Because things weren't complicated enough.

In other news, all the attendings are fighting over the Chief's job and trying to impress/intimidate the new candidate. It gets a little ugly, and by the end of the episode the Chief seems to be leaning toward just giving the spot to the new guy. Oh, and did anyone else laugh until they cried when Derek gave that whole speech to Meredith's dad about how "she's worth" all the trouble it takes to get close to her? Because wow. She really, really doesn't seem like she's worth it. How does this whiny chick have so many friends, aside from paying them off with nice rooms in her house?

6 comments:

Lori said...

Yeah, she's really not worth it. And I think the show knows it, too, otherwise they wouldn't spend so much time trying to convince us that she is, with Derek here and with Limbo Hospital the other week. I'm not buying it, show.

Liz said...

So true. SO true. It's wierd that the show can have such an unlikeable main character (and not good unlikeable, like House), and yet remain watchable. Props to the supporting cast, I guess...

Dave said...

I'm no GA fan. I've seen one episode which my friends swore "was one of the greatest TV EPISODES EVER" (remember "Code Black"? Yeah, not that great.) But something about Meredith Gray makes me wonder why she's the central character. And Ellen Pompeo plays that part in the most broody, whiny, faux-deep way possible. Also, I'm biased against shows that try to be "edgy" by putting "hip" "indie" music blaring in the soundtrack. One show pulled this off, and it was Homicide.

Anyways, I've been convinced to start my own TV blog. So thanks guys. Now my dissertation's ETA is 2057. Super.

Liz said...

I enjoy the show, in a nighttime soap opera kind of way, but I definitely do not enjoy Meredith. I can't say I mind the music, though...

Right on with the TV blog thing! There's no better way to justify your TV habit--trust me. But yeah, total time-suck.

Dave said...

well, here it is:
TayVay

I have to say, I really enjoy writing it. I sorta get things out of my system, regardless of whether or not it matters.

Liz said...

Yep, there's nothing like blogging for us overopinionated folks.