Friday, March 09, 2007

30 Rock: The Black Donaghys

I thought the best part of last night's episode would be Nathan Lane as Jack's brother. But then came the other Donaghys, the Donaghy fight, and the stupidest fist names ever, and I was proven completely wrong. It has to be a huge point in 30 Rock's favor that big names like Nathan Lane, Wayne Brady, and Molly Shannon are lining up to be on the show, much as the stars used to for Arrested Development. It could also mean that between them, Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey know everyone in Hollywood, but I prefer to look on the bright side. I like to think it means that they know good comedy when they see it, and they're trying to support the show. NBC, are you listening?


Oh, and another great thing about this episode? Liz becoming The Decider. Awesome.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure that we share a definition of big names here. Molly Shannon is a washed up former SNL member, not a big star former SNL member. She's a Tim Meadows or Tracy Morgan, not an Adam Sandler or Will Ferrel (who I might add is vastly overrated in my opinion). Nathan Lane is probably best known by the non theater going crowd as the voice of Timon in the Lion King (yes I know he is very famous in the theater world, especially lately because of The Producers). Wayne Brady is probably the biggest name of the 3 you listed and yet he's really only known from "Whose Line". I mean come on, have your standards for big name fallen so far? Bring on the Brad Pitts and the Julia Roberts if you want me to acknowledge the bignamitude of the guest stars on 30 Rock.

Lori said...

True, but they're still pretty big names for TV guest roles. The real A-list stars only show up for Friends or Will and Grace.

Liz said...

Haha, I was going to make a Will and Grace joke (making up for bad writing with ridiculously recognizable guest stars), but Lori beat me to the punch. I'd rather 30 Rock rely on funny B-Listers than out-of-place A-Listers. (And, to be fair, The Birdcage is a pretty famous role of Lane's.)

Anonymous said...

I like the Will and Grace jokes and I'd agree that funny B-listers or even C-listers are preferable to not funny A-listers. And Lane and Brady can certainly be funny. But just for the record, Molly Shannon isn't funny. She never has been and she never will be.

Anonymous said...

Oh and I figured I would add that I am probably the only person in the world who associates Nathan Lane primarily with his failed mid 90's sitcom "Encore, Encore" which was my first exposure to his acting.

Liz said...

True, I suppose I just associate her with funny things, like "Wet Hot American Summer." She, herself, is not that funny. Nathan Lane, however, TOTALLY is, "Encore, Encore" be damned.