Thursday, October 11, 2007

On the Glowy Box: Hopelessly Devoted to Pushing Daisies

My head is saying, "Fool, forget Private Practice." My heart is saying, "Don't let goooo...." Let's face it, I'll probably listen to my heart and watch the episode I DVR'd last night sometime this weekend.

Watched Last Night:
Pushing Daisies: I have to admit, I didn't think Pushing Daisies could reach any new heights after the pilot episode. I mean, come on, that shit was genius. I was wrong. Having Kristin Chenoweth sing "Hopelessly Devoted to You" was the perfect way to get me to love this show even more (although I'm sure tons of non-Broadway loving people weren't into it). So mad props to Pushing Daisies for actually USING her amazing singing voice, which rarely happens when she's on television. I'm also really liking how they throw in little details about characters' lives (like the "cheese box" for Chuck, and knitting for Emerson). My only complaint is that the narration got a little intrusive. Much as I love Jim Dale, he doesn't need to be speaking over every scene in the episode, and the thing where he tells us exactly how old everyone is, down to the minute, is grating on me. But that's a small complaint. I was really into the central mystery this week (dandelion cars=awesomely precious), and I liked how they were able to blend it in seamlessly with the development of more character-related plots. Can't wait 'til next week, though I'm worried the quality may drop off with a lower budget and no Barry Sonnenfeld.

The Sarah Silverman Program: From last Wednesday. Yeah, I'm just getting caught up on this one. I really liked the first season, but thought the second season premiere was a little much. It was all going really well until the crazy "save the clinic from being bombed" ending...this show doesn't do action or high drama very well, and I thought the "Sarah joins a pro-life group" plot was funny enough as it was. I don't know. I think I may just need to get back into the show, since it's so unusual. We'll see!

America's Next Top Model: MAKEOVER NIGHT! Read my recap here.

Will Watch or DVR Tonight:
(Descriptions from Zap2it.com's TV listings)

Ugly Betty: Betty finds herself distracted by Mode's new sandwich guy, who both annoys and intrigues her; the Mode-ites prepare for the social event of the season; Wilhelmina plots to get her wedding back on track. ABC, 8 PM.

30 Rock: On the heels of Jack's realization that Don Geiss may be retiring, Jack's nemesis returns, engaged to Don's daughter; Liz tries to get her life in order. NBC, 8:30 PM.

Grey's Anatomy: George's skill level dazzles the new interns; Meredith halfheartedly helps Lexie with her first emergency patient; Sloan and Richard attempt a radical new surgery to save a woman's ability to speak; George tells Callie of his past indiscretion with Izzie. ABC, 9 PM.

The Office: Michael anticipates going to New York for the company's Web site launch party; Dwight tries to sell more paper in one day than the Web site does. NBC, 9 PM.

30 Rock! Tonight! Watch it! Seriously!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wondering if you ever watched Supernatural? I borrowed the first 2 seasons on DVD from my sister and am halfway through season 2 and think it is a pretty great show. I have DVRed the first (and tonight 2nd) episodes of this season so that I can join the world real time. I am also really liking Dirty Sexy Money and think they are spending just the right amount of time with each of the Darlings (although mom did kind of get screwed out of some time this week). Thanks again for the great recaps. Keep them coming.

Liz said...

Thanks, Bruce! Will do! I've never seen Supernatural, mostly due to A) hating Dean when he was on Gilmore Girls, and B) It being on in a crowded time slot. Maybe I'll check it out at some point, though...I know it has a ton of devoted fans. I've also been enjoying Dirty Sexy Money, partly due to Peter Krause's note-perfect performance--I DVR'd last night's episode, so hopefully I can get caught up over the weekend.

Vance said...

Supernatural is actually quite good but too bad it's on a horrible time slot, but I watch when I can.

But let's talk more Pushing Daisies. Seriously? That's like a 2nd whole little movie on it's own now. AMAZING.

Though I must say? We must all be really cynical cause EVERYONE in my real life was saying the same thing. "Awesome pilot, but can it sustain?" Ha. DOUBTERS!

Anyways, why can't we just enjoy the good in front of us and not worry about the future? (Seriously, cause if not, I'm having seriously worries about Heroes).

Liz said...

Fair enough. My concern with Pushing Daisies is that the style is SO based on Barry Sonnenfeld's vision, and requires so much money, that it may not be sustainable. I mean, ABC won't let him direct anymore because he went so far over budget on the second ep! So yeah, I'm worried a bit. I can't help it! :)

kp said...

I have a bad feeling about the level of excellence with Pushing Daisies as well. I don't know if they can make a million bucks look like 10 million, but my fingers (and toes) are crossed. Because anything that allows The Chenoweth to bring down the house is love. =)

Liz said...

For reals, KP. For reals.

Vance said...

true true. the money thing is always a concern. (don't even get me started. I think thats why I've had my hands in my hair for the past 2 months at work).

Still, I think we will have totally fallen in love with Ned and Chuck (and Emerson and Olive) by the time the money runs out that it won't matter.

Or at least, I have already...