Tuesday, October 23, 2007

On the Glowy Box: No baseball? Really?

How I Met Your Mother was awe-wait for it-some last night. Also, Viva Laughlin has, incredibly predictably, been cancelled. I look forward to erasing its latest episode off my DVR.

Watched Last Night:
How I Met Your Mother: Aaaand we're finally back to second season quality. LEGENDARY, you guys. The hot/crazy graph? With the Vicky Mendoza Line?! (I'm not a sports person, but I actually got that baseball reference. Incidentally, the Mendoza Line is also a pretty good band.) Robin, finally, has gone from being vaguely irritating back to being funny. Phew. I love the creative use of flashback storytelling ("sandwiches," "Blah Blah"), and it was great to see how everyone met everyone else. Although somehow, I was expecting more out of the Barney story. I don't know what, or why, but it was a little too predictable that he'd take them under his wing at a bar. The bit where Marshall impressed Barney by hooking up with Lily was a nice touch, though.

Samantha Who?: Well...I didn't really like last night's episode as much as the pilot. Mostly in that it wasn't very funny. Seriously, I don't think I laughed out loud (or on the inside, even) for the entire half hour. I liked the plot, I found it perfectly engaging, but it just wasn't funny to me. Ah, well. I'll keep watching to see if it regains its sea legs. Partly because they've cast one of my favorite "Hey! It's That Guy!" actors as Samantha's boss. I fell in love with Rick Hoffman's acting six years ago, when he was on Philly (interestingly enough, that's also when I fell in love with James Denton's...acting, pre-Desperate Housewives). Rick Hoffman is awesome, at any rate. He totally deserves his own quirky misanthrope show!

The Bachelor: Hillary, you guys. Wow. Read my full recap here.

Will Watch or DVR Tonight:
(Descriptions from Zap2it.com's TV listings)

Planet in Peril: This is possibly one to DVR and watch over the weekend when you have a chance, since it's two hours long, but I'm actually really excited CNN is putting so much into it, and would encourage everyone to check it out. Especially if you enjoyed Planet Earth or An Inconvenient Truth. Or if you live on this planet. Although Jeff Corwin kind of pales in comparison to Steve Irwin, you can't go wrong with Anderson Cooper and Sanjay Gupta, right? And seriously, it sounds really interesting. Tonight - Black market animal trade; conservation group Wildlife Alliance raids illegal animal trading; Madagascar's deforestation; endangered species in Cambodia; pollution in China. CNN, 9 PM.

House: It's back! House and the remaining fellowship candidates must determine why a 20-year-old cosmetician has had a massive seizure and is now hallucinating; Foreman's reputation precedes him as he interviews for a new job; House must narrow the candidates to six. Fox, 9 PM.

Reaper: Sam receives a copy of the contract his parents signed, but it is in Latin; the trio discovers that the latest escaped soul is the former head of a chemical company that dumped toxic waste. The CW, 9 PM.

Boston Legal: A woman (Mare Winningham) asks Alan's advice on how to kill the man who murdered her daughter; Katie and Jerry try to overturn Megan's Law; Lorraine tries to help Alan overcome his deep-rooted childhood fears causing him to speak gibberish around her. ABC, 10 PM.

Planet in Peril. Seriously. Check it out. We can all report back next week when we've actually finished watching it, and discuss how screwed we are.

2 comments:

Vance said...

Sam no? I thought it was hilarious!(or maybe I was still in a good mood from the rebounding HIMYM and an AMAZING Aliens in America (the best of busy night). It could have been though that I love Joy Osmanski (the secretary) so even though she's playing the same role she was on The Loop, she was so funny then that it's still funny now. Plus, Barry Watson was actually amusing as the downtrodden ex bf even without needing to spot a lot of lines. I'm impressed. I had totally written him off after 7th Heaven.

Liz said...

Yeah, the acting is definitely solid. I just don't think the jokes themselves are grabbing me. Maybe I had the opposite effect after watching HIMYM--Samantha ended up paling in comparison!