Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Class: Free at Last

I have a small, embarrassing confession to make: I've been watching The Class pretty much all season. Yes, I knew the acting was largely exaggerated and unfunny (aside from Jesse Tyler Ferguson, who is actually pretty great as sad-sack Richie Velch). Yes, I knew the writing sucked and the jokes weren't clever, or even good. Yes, I knew the plots were getting increasingly ridiculous and annoying. Yes, I knew the show wasn't going to get any better.

So why keep watching? Extreme laziness. The Class is on CBS at 8:30 Mondays, after How I Met Your Mother. Nothing else that I watch regularly is on at that time. It was just so easy to keep watching CBS for a half hour rather than find something else to do or watch for that short amount of time. Shameful, I know. It wasn't even a guilty pleasure, just...guilty slothishness, or something.

Well that ends now. Or, more accurately, last night. You see, The Class is one of those new shows that manage to attract enough viewers to hang on to their slots while far better shows struggle. The people who watch such shows are enablers of bad television. I'm done being part of the problem, and I'm ready to be part of the solution. From now on, I will watch no crappy shows save to mock them. From 8:30-9 on Monday nights, I will read a book instead of watching The Class, as I did last night. No more secret bad shows! It's quality television or heavy snark all the way from here on out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha. apparently you're not the only one. I've been watching pretty much the whole season too. While I've got tons on tape to catch up, I find myself spending 30 min every week watching The Class. Love Jesse Tyler Ferguson (who would have been my second pick from Lizzy Caplan on my new fave people list. it was kind of a toss up between the two).

Anonymous said...

Speaking of bad shows people watch, NCIS was 2nd last week and Criminal Minds is doing so well. WHAT THE H#$L?

Granted, I also did love Freddie so maybe I'm partly to blame, and I ADORE Reba. Okay, I'm going to go sit in the corner now for my time out...

Liz said...

Believe it or not, I actually met my first NCIS fan last weekend. Before I met her, I assumed the entire NCIS fan base was in retirement homes or something, and that's why I'd never met anyone who watched the show.

I actually had a roommate who loved Reba, too, so you're not alone there. You are, however, now alone in watching The Class, 'cause I'm out. Join me on the other side! Maybe it'll get cancelled and Jesse Tyler Furguson and Lizzy Caplan will get cast in GOOD shows!