Wednesday, December 13, 2006

RIP Peter Boyle

Peter Boyle, famous for his curmudgeonly role on Everybody Loves Raymond, died last night at the age of 71. Although I hated Everybody Loves Raymond, I very much loved Peter Boyle, whose role as Clyde Bruckman in the X-Files episode "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" won him a much-deserved Emmy for best Guest Actor.

"Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" is definitely one of my favorite X-Files episodes, and beyond that, one of the best hours of television I've ever seen. TV Guide agreed, naming it the number ten best television episode of all time in 2001. Peter Boyle's incredibly human portrayal of Clyde Bruckman, the insurance salesman who foresees people's deaths (including his own) deserves a huge amount of credit for making the episode as outstanding as it was.

So thanks for the great times, Peter. We'll miss you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. I think that Peter Boyle's talent combined with the brilliant writing of Darran Morgan and acting of people like Gillian Anderson (who has not lent her personality to many projects with the exception of the hillariously mid-90's primetime feature "When Planes Go Down" on FOX about what to do if your plane explodes) shows us that when you put smart people in a room together, they'll create incredible things.

Liz said...

Haha, I have "When Planes Go Down" on tape.