Thursday, February 22, 2007

American Idol: Girls Rule, Boys Drool

Since every other network has moved its good shows out of the way of the American Idol juggernaut, there is now nothing good on opposite Idol (to totally generalize the situation). Thus, I have gotten sucked into watching. Damn. But since I’m watching, I might as well be sharing, right? Last night was the chicks, and they were a helluva lot better than the guys.

First up was Stephanie, singing “How Come You Don’t Call Me,” a song I didn’t recognize. She rocked. Great voice, great performance, great energy…just great.

Next up was Amy, whom I find adorable. Unfortunately, adorable isn’t enough to keep me entertained, and her rendition of “I Can’t Make You Love Me” was pretty boring. Sorry, Amy.

Leslie made the mistake of singing “Natural Woman,” and just seemed really goofy. Which makes sense, since I’m pretty sure she is really goofy.

Sabrina sang “I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You,” and did a great job compared to her auditions. I think that song made her voice sound just about as big as it possibly can.

Antonella, whom (full disclosure) I’ve hated since the group auditions, destroyed “Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing.” And I don’t mean “destroyed” in a good way. At all.

Jordin, the young ‘un, sang “Give Me One Reason,” and she actually had to work hard to make it show off her amazing voice. Her blinding lipstick was a bit of a distraction, unfortunately.

Nicole showcased her spazziest qualities with a song by Chaka Khan. It was really uncomfortable, but not as uncomfortable as watching the judges try to say “You can’t sing that way if you’re not black” without actually saying it.

Haley sang “It’s All Coming Back to Me Now,” which was a total yawn-fest, despite her lovely voice and boobage-amplifying dress.

Melinda, my new Favorite Person Ever, sang “Since You’ve Been Gone” (Aretha, not Kelly). It was awesome, even though it was the third Aretha of the night. Awesome!

Alaina sang “Brass in Pocket” (the “I’m special! So special!” song), and somehow managed to do a worse job than Scarlett Johansson in Lost in Translation.

Gina destroyed any goodwill she may have garnered with me through her “alternative” appearance by singing “All By Myself.” BARF, and not just because of the screamy notes at the end.

Lakisha destroyed “And I am Telling You.” And I mean “destroyed” in a good way. A very good way.

All in all, a good night to be a woman. Why does it have to be six guys and six girls, again?

0 comments: