Tuesday, January 08, 2008

The Golden Box Awards: Liz's Best of 2007 (Part One)

Last year we had the Geigers, but this year Glowy Box is giving out Golden Boxes. Because 1) making up award names is fun, and 2) the Golden Globes are gonna suck this year. First up: the Important Categories. You know, the ones covered by all the mainstream awards shows. Just so I can get my two cents in.

Best Comedy: 30 Rock. If you watch the show, you'll realize why this needs no explanation. If you don't watch the show, I feel sorry for you, because you have never experienced the joy of "Werewolf Bar Mitzvah." 30 Rock is, without a doubt, my favorite show on television right now.

Best Drama: Believe it or not, I'm going to sit this one out, since I'm fairly certain I don't watch any of the best dramas on television right now. (Stop sucking, Grey's Anatomy!) It's something I hope to rectify soon with the help of Netflix, but until then...um...we'll leave this one up to the people who watch better shows than I do.

Best Actress in a Comedy: America Ferrera, Ugly Betty. She's got it covered on all fronts: impeccable comic timing and delivery, great physical comedy, and heart-breaking vulnerability. And she does it all behind glasses, braces, and awful hair and clothing. This one was kind of a gimme.

Best Actor in a Comedy: Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock, hands down. For irrefutable evidence, I point you to this clip of Jack helping Tracy with his therapy.

Best Actress in a Drama: Chandra Wilson, Grey's Anatomy. Because Bailey rocks, dammit (unlike virtually everything else about the show this past year), and it's time Chandra gets her due. She has done an extraordinary job turning Bailey from a one-dimensional (yet still awesome) hardass into a multi-faceted, relatable character.

Best Actor in a Drama: Hugh Laurie, House, for the second year running! Congrats, Hugh. You ARE the show. Seriously. It would be terrible without you. But far from holding what could be a lame, formulaic show together with both hands, you've almost singlehandedly turned House into great television, season after season.

Best New Show: Flight of the Conchords. As any of my friends will tell you, this show made me fairly obnoxious to be around over the summer. It's just so quotable! And singable! And crazily random! And hilariously awesome in each and every possible way! In fact, I have "Albi the Racist Dragon" stuck in my head right now. [Honorable Mention: Pushing Daisies, which is also extremely awesome.]

Tune in tomorrow for the second half of the Golden Boxes! (Containing the somewhat less important, but possibly more strongly opinionated, categories.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I applaud all the winners you have chosen ( although I don't watch House) The only drama I watch that might be considered best is the Closer. I know it is a summer show, but they did have that nice bonus Christmas episode that could have slid them in for the award. Also, how Psyched are you for the return of Psych next week? I am all pumped up.

Liz said...

Oh, the awards are for all year, so the Closer would totally be eligible if I watched it (it's officially on my Netflix queue).

I can't wait for Psych! Over the summer I was all angry that they were splitting the season up, but boy, did that work out well!