Wednesday, January 16, 2008

I think I may have a problem...

About a week ago, I called my cable provider to try and switch from Starz to Showtime. (Starz was part of a free package that expired last month, and Showtime has Dexter, duh.) The operator helpfully informed me that he could get me all the premium channels for less than I was already paying, through a package deal they didn't have when I signed up a year ago. Mildly annoying that I only discovered this by happenstance, but still awesome, right? HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, TMC...the movie world is now my oyster! Which may or may not lead to my eventual undoing.

Case in point: Saturday, as I was sitting down to have a quick bite before running some errands, I decided to see if anything was on while I ate. "Perfect," I thought, "The Mighty Ducks is just starting. I loved this movie when I was a kid! I'll just watch until I finish eating, and then head out to the grocery store." Cut to almost two hours and half a bag of tortilla chips (plus my initial lunch) later, as I'm tearing up a little watching the Ducks beat the Hawks in the State Pee-wee Hockey Finals.

Errands? Forgotten. In fact, after eating all those chips, I actually had something to add to my grocery list. And it's not like I was watching something useful, like a show I was planning to review. It was just an hour and forty minutes of my life that I'll never get back. Something tells me that however much money it's saving me to add these extra channels to my cable bundle, it may end up costing me more in the long run...

3 comments:

David N. said...

"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."

(from someone's facebook profile that I remember)

Vance said...

I have the Mighty Ducks BOXED SET. (Okay, my sister bought it but still).

Anyways, I just rewatched She's the Man for all its brilliancy (and to check out James Snyder again who will head up Cry Baby on Broadway, plus Robert Hoffman and Channing Tatum doesn't hurt, nor does Amanda Bynes mugging for the camera. seriously. comedic genius).

Sometimes we just need to waste time! Um hello. That's what my blog is all about!

Liz said...

Ha, David. That's true, I suppose. Though if I followed that philosophy, I would never have any groceries.

Vance, you're Canadian. You're probably forced to own Mighty Ducks, Slapshot, and any other hockey movies I'm forgetting. Thus, I remain unimpressed. Haven't seen She's the Man, but I'm sure it'll be on the next time I'm on my way to do something productive...