Tuesday, January 15, 2008

On the Glowy Box: You suck, America.

...Seriously. I mean, I'm not saying that nobody should ever watch reality TV, since God knows I love me some Tyra, Janice, and Project Runway, but American Gladiators? Really? Over Chuck? Do you not want scripted television to return, America? Are you trying to turn the entire medium into a vast wasteland of suck? Because you're doing a pretty good job at it.

Last Night:
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles: I am officially loving this show! Mad props, again, to David Nutter for the fantastic direction. He was always great at making each of his X-Files episodes feel like a mini-movie, and he has absolutely succeeded in that effort with this show as well. (I mean, what kind of special effects budget are we talking? Because that shit is pretty impressive.) Lena Headey has also proven herself more than capable of playing the lead role, which requires an impressive balance between kick-ass action heroine and worried mom, with a sprinkling of tortured soul to bind the whole thing together.

Of course, one has to ignore the constant paradoxes that arise due to time travel, but I'm assuming that was the case with the movies, too. And if you don't try and think it through, you can spare yourself some brain-ache. I also question the necessity of Sarah Connor's narration ("Show, don't tell," right?), and am hoping that now that most of the exposition is out of the way, it can fade further into the background. Overall, though, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles has far exceeded my (admittedly low) expectations, and is something I'll really look forward to watching every week.

Tonight:
Boston Legal: Denny basks in the spotlight and refuses Alan's help with a high-profile murder case; Jerry and Katie represent a woman wishing to sue her husband's law firm for causing their divorce. 10 PM, ABC.

Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency: Janice gets an unusual request from a client; a new model is unable to handle the fast pace of a photo shoot. 10:30 PM, Oxygen.

I won't be watching American Idol, since I lack the requisite 700 hours per week of free time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How was unaware until now that there are two new episodes of Chuck on next Thursday? Incredibly awesome. I am loving Sarah Connor as well.

Liz said...

Awesome, yes, though they're weirdly sandwiched around Celebrity Apprentice, which is lame.