Sunday, January 13, 2008

Quick Golden Globe Thoughts

In no particular order...

  • Billy Bush is an idiot.
  • I need to get caught up on Mad Men. (Luckily, AMC will be rerunning the first season Sundays at midnight starting on January 21st.)
  • As someone who hasn't seen Mad Men (see above), I guess I can't gripe (educatedly, at least) about Michael C. Hall and Hugh Laurie losing out on Best Actor. Still, I didn't see it coming, and I'm definitely disappointed.
  • It's a damn good thing Tina Fey won for Best Actress, because after Alec Baldwin and 30 Rock lost, I was about to start a riot up in here. ("Here" being the designated living room corner of my studio apartment.)
  • On a related note, I love David Duchovny as much as the next obsessed X-Files fan, but seriously? Over Alec Baldwin? I mean, I know they like to spread out the wealth, but did they SEE that therapy scene? And Californication is barely a comedy!
And yeah, I know this isn't a movie blog, but...

  • Charlie Wilson's War was supposed to be a comedy?
  • How did Juno not win anything?! It was the best movie I saw all year! (And yes, that includes No Country for Old Men. I'm apparently one of those philistines who thinks that you should probably have to write a damn ending for your movie in order to win the Golden Globe for Best Screenplay, at least over a movie as brilliantly written as Juno. Go ahead and judge me--I'm just not a Coen Brothers kind of gal. I won't begrudge Sweeney Todd, since that's a really tough musical to adapt to the big screen, and they did a great job. And I didn't see La Vie En Rose, so I suppose I can't speak to the acting award. But seriously? They couldn't have thrown Juno the writing award?)

8 comments:

TV Guy said...

I was completely taken back by Duchovny's win. Alec Baldwin should have taken it easily. There's always the SAG awards though.

I too (as if I didn't watch enough TV already)am going to check out Mad Men. Could AMC be the next FX or Showtime in terms of producing great TV shows? I do know I am super excited about Breaking Bad which premiers this month on AMC.

Liz said...

No joke. I don't know what they were thinking there. I mean, obviously they're not totally adverse to repeat winners, since Hugh Laurie won twice in a row, so...

Yeah, I'm definitely psyched about Breaking Bad...who knew AMC had it in them?

Vance said...

Ill catch up on Dexter. you catch up on Mad Men!

Anyways, comedy never gets respect. Thus the No Country wins. Which was good but yes, Juno was better.

Liz said...

Deal!

True that. At least musicals are getting some respect now, though! And yeah, No Country was good...up until the end. If you ask me. Whereas Juno was all kinds of great all the way through.

Anonymous said...

Your order is great... Billy Bush IS an idiot... dissing, Cate Blanchett AND The Cohen Bros? - He's a regular brain-trust (must run in the family)

Liz said...

So true, anonymous, so true. In fact, perhaps I shouldn't have judged him so harshly, given the low bar for intelligence set by his family. Actually, scratch that--he's still an idiot. An idiot with ridiculous hair, if last night is anything to judge by.

David N. said...

Here's why I don't like the Golden Globes--since it's the Foreign press, anything British or foreign gets unfair weight (like, I remember they gave an award to the original Office because it aired on BBC America, even though I'm pretty sure that was years after it originally aired in Britain).

The SAGs are a better indicator of what people are thinking anyway.

And yes, Juno is great, and I hope it gets the Sofia Coppola Lost in Translation Award for Movie That We'd Give More Dap to if we Had One Original Thought (Collective or Otherwise), but since We're Cowards, and We like to Pat Ourselves on the Back for Crapfests like "Crash," We're Going to Toss Just this One Little Award its Way. Aka Best Original Screenplay Oscar.

Liz said...

Hahaha, David. SO true. That's exactly what Best Original Screenplay is. (Which is partly why I was bummed that Juno didn't win that Golden Globe!)