Monday, September 25, 2006

Brothers and Sisters: Calista Flockhart's Yawn-ful Return to TV

10:00- Ok. Brothers and Sisters. I'm not optimistic, given the well-publicized reworking this show got over the summer. Recastings, departures due to "creative differences," and extensive reshooting are never good signs. But, here we go...

10:12- I'm feeling an inexplicably strong animosity towards this show. Possibly because Calista Flockhart is playing an Ann Coulter type. But I really don’t care who’s gay, who’s a drug addict, or who’s estranged from whom. The whole family drama thing is really just not grabbing me. I’d have turned it off after the first few minutes, but I foolishly promised I’d give it a chance. I mean, there has to be a reason all these good actors signed on for this, right? …Right?

10:26- Aaaand the animosity has shifted to boredom. I know that by their nature pilots are full of exposition, but Jesus Christ, they have to entertain me a little! Screw this, I'm outta here.

4 comments:

Vance said...

awww. be nice... it wasn't THAT bad. Not a homerun but I didn't think it was as terrible as everyone says it was. (then again. I'm actually liking Men in Trees so maybe theres just something wrong with me or ABC has somehow implanted a chip that must make me like all their new shows). Clunky lines delivered by great actors makes for something interesting to me (again. also with Six Degrees... hmm...maybe my ABC theory holds true).

Liz said...

Yeah, I know, harsh. I was just SO BORED! And that, to me, is unforgiveable. Be over-the-top, be crazy, be ridiculous, be subtly intriguing, be whatever, but above all else be interesting! If a show can't hold my attention in the first fifteen minutes, it's probably not my kind of show. I just call 'em like I see 'em.

Could be that it's just not to my taste. Or you need an ABC mind-control chipectomy. One or the other.

Vance said...

True, I usually have that boredom rule. Or at least try. But I think I'm also a sucker for large casts and loving watching them interact (see Robert Altman films, even the bad ones, Six Degrees, Mars Attacks). Plus, I have to say I wrote off Everwood that way when it first aired but then luckily caught up and it (slowly) became one of my faves of all time.

Liz said...

Right, I figure I can always catch up later if it turns out I was wrong and everyone starts loving the show. Otherwise, I tend to just go with my initial impression, since I already have too many shows on my viewing schedule.