Saturday, September 16, 2006

The Class: Not Unwatchable, Not the Next Friends

I just caught the pilot episode of CBS's The Class on google video, and I can't say I was really impressed. The premise involves a guy reuniting his third grade class for a party. Since this episode basically just set up the premise, I'll probably give it another shot with the second and third episodes to see where it goes and if it improves. But to get added to my regular viewing schedule, much less merit a comparison to Friends, another of David Crane's shows, it'll have to improve quite a bit.

I found a few of the characters (suicidal guy, girl married to football player) somewhat likeable, and a few (quirky girl and her sister, angsty girl) annoyingly overacted. I can definitely see the show getting better as the characters develop, but I could also see how it might be impossible to sustain the "third grade reunion" premise beyond a few episodes without stretching my credulity. We'll see how it goes, but my hopes aren't very high for this one.

7 comments:

Lori said...

I saw it too, and all I have to say is: I didn't know Bjork is doing TV now.

Liz said...

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Was it the jaunty hat?

Lori said...

Mostly the scrunched-up expression. I don't think that hat is anywhere near jaunty enough for Bjork. It would need more random crap, like feathers and paper and bejeweled cockroaches.

Vance said...

well, SOMETHING has to fill in my Freddie/Reba gap of not great sitcoms that I still continuously watch for some reason and I think this is it for this year. I was going to drop it but word is the second and third eps are much better (but then again, do we believe in critics? They also said Prison Break was going to be good again this year).

Liz said...

Yeah, I'll also be sticking it out through the next couple episodes to see if it improves. Plus, I've heard so many good things about How I Met Your Mother that I'll be checking that one out this season, and The Class is just a measly half-hour of mediocre comedy before that, so...

Lori said...

How I Met Your Mother is good times, due in large part to Alyson Hannigan and Neil Patrick Harris. You'd like it, I think.

Liz said...

Yep--watched HIMYM tonight and definitely enjoyed it, despite the fact that I've developed a taste for the non-laugh track comedy post-Friends.