Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Men in Trees: Can we send Anne Heche to Alaska for real?

Ok, yeah, I could write a lot about the hackneyed dialogue, predictable jokes, painfully obvious metaphors (that the writers still feel the need to explain out loud), obligatorily wacky hijinks, and Anne freakin’ Heche, but that would be wasting your time and mine.

Let’s just say that my initial “ignore it and it’ll go away” instincts were right, and I was led astray by a few reviews that suggested it might be lazy but enjoyable viewing. Yeah, not so much. Men in Trees deserves to die a sad, lonely death on Friday nights, and have its decomposing body eaten by cats until its neighbors, Las Vegas and Close to Home, notice the smell and call the police. Make it happen, people.

I'm calling it now: First new show cancelled. Won't see five episodes. (Or is that just wishful thinking?)

4 comments:

Vance said...

I do agree though that this will be the first show cancelled (basically cause ABC seems to have the most shows to replace it). Still, not as horrible as I thought (and nowhere near as horrible as some of those new Fox shows).

Liz said...

Fair enough--it could certainly be worse. As an Arrested Development fan, I couldn't bear to even try Fox's new comedies (too painful, especially since I hear they're painfully bad).

Vance said...

Have you noticed Fox is notorious for bringing some of the best original shows to TV (Arrested Development, The Tick, Action, Andy Richter Controls the Universe, Kitchen Confidential) and then ditching them all (almost right away) while horrible shows (War at Home, 'Til Death) live on? I'm not sure if I should praise them for at least greenlighting the good shows or reprimand them for not having the sense to keep them.

Liz said...

Reprimand. Definitely reprimand. What they do is just cruel, and they must be stopped.

Although looking at their comedic offerings this year, it looks like they've just given up on greenlighting innovative shows and are going with the ratings whore option, leaving me to mourn Arrested Development in peace without any additional tragic demises.

Although come to think of it, I'm glad I have the 2.5 seasons of Arrested Development that I do, so maybe praise them? Sigh. I guess it's that old "better to have loved and lost" dilemma...