Friday, September 08, 2006

Justice: Lawyers! Solving Crimes!

I have now seen two episodes of Justice, and I have to say, the whole "we'll show you what really happened" hook would be a lot more effective if they wouldn't solve the case in the middle of the trial. In the pilot, the crime played out exactly the way they argued that it did in court. In Wednesday's episode, the crime unfolded almost exactly the way they argued that it did, except, of course, that (spoiler!) she was guilty, and also took the money. Which you could totally call, provided you had watched TV before. So for right now, the "what really happened" closer bores me, although it does lead me to wonder what will happen when the client is falsely convicted. How will they handle it?

On a related note: defense attorneys can solve crimes now too? And here I thought the list was only confined to detectives, prosecutors, FBI agents, crime scene investigators, profilers, medical examiners, the military, high-schoolers (now college freshmen), mathematicians, obsessive-compulsives, fake psychics, real psychics, magician's assistants, Crazy Vincent D'Onofrio, and meddling kids. Silly me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched the first episode of Justice last week and I found it to be nice superficial entertainment. I do have to agree that the whole hook thing is quite lame.

So have you been watching Pysch? Deborah and I find that show quite amusing.

Good luck on continuing blogging. I hope you are much more successful than our other friends at keeping it up.

Liz said...

Hey, dude! Thanks for visiting!

Much as I love Victor Garber, I think last week's Justice was it for me (props to Lori for carrying on for another week). The "what really happened" gimmick was way, WAY less cool than I thought it would be, and the characters all seem pretty two-dimensional so far.

I watch Psych if I'm around and it's on (I've caught 3 or 4 eps), and I've really been enjoying it so far. Bad time slot, that's all. Oh, for a Tivo...

The way I figure it, if Lori and I can't obsessively rant and rave about TV on a regular basis, what CAN we do?

Lori said...

Hey, Bob! Nice to see you!

Yeah, Justice is pretty good if you're looking for slick, easy-to-watch entertainment. It's really easy on the eyes. And I agree with Liz about the characters being pretty superficial, and the attempts they made this week to provide a bit of backstory (i.e. Tom had a sister who died, Ron had an affair with the Nancy Grace-type lady) were kind of hamfisted.

I don't watch Psych, but if you guys like it, maybe I should give it a try. I suppose I trust your judgment.

Anonymous said...

You also forgot Ice-T.

Lori said...

Do you mean Law and Order: SVU? It's in there.