Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Studio 60: Those Bloggers are Power-Mad!

This week on Studio 60, Aaron Sorkin makes clear, through the Studio 60 cast, his views on bloggers, who apparently don't understand that with much power comes much responsibility. A crazy cat lady in her pajamas (touché, Aaron) has much less a right to an opinion than a credentialed member of the traditional media! Stupid democratic internet giving power to the masses...

Oh, right, and Matt and Danny have to come up with the awesomest opening sketch that ever awesomed. It has to be awesome. And it kind of is, but I'm also partial to Gilbert & Sullivan parodies, so I may be biased. There's a big hullabaloo about the "Crazy Christians" sketch, which causes several sponsors to pull their ads and some affiliates to opt out of airing the show. Unfortunately, they don't actually show the sketch (despite Amanda Peet's brave decision to buck the higher-ups/Christian protesters and air it anyway), so we'll never know whether it was good enough to be worth angering sponsors over.

I still really like the show, but I'm beginning to wonder if that's not at least in part due to its familiarity. Matthew Perry is doing an okay job of breaking out of the Chandler mold, but Bradley Whitford is still a little too Josh for my liking, and the pacing, dialogue, and shooting still strongly resemble The West Wing. Which, fine, and I really do like it a lot, but freshening Studio 60 up a little wouldn't hurt. And they MUST be sick of all the "It's like West Wing in Hollywood!" reviews, right?

7 comments:

Lori said...

I'm pretty sure we'll never see the "Crazy Christians" sketch. Sorkin has built it up so much (it's the greatest sketch ever! it's the sketch that brought down Wes Mendel!) that it can never live up to the hype. Also, the real NBC execs are much less courageous than the fictional NBS president.

By the way, how are your five cats? Mine are great.

Vance said...

true, Crazy Christians will never be as good as it is built up. though, I was suprised how good the opening number was. I agree though, I love this show yet feel its more of the same (West Wing? Sports Night?) just moved to a new setting. Still, doesn't mean it's bad. just. familiar. though I think Matthew Perry is obliterating any signs of Chandler (even more so when I rewatched a Friends repeat realizing how different the two characters are).

Liz said...

Haha, it would be so ironic if they didn't write/show "Crazy Christians" because they were afraid of causing offense! My cats say "hi."

Matthew Perry is definitely my early favorite on this show...while I love Bradley Whitford, he hasn't been nearly as successful at making me forget the character he used to play. Maybe it's tougher for him because Studio 60 is so similar to West Wing.

Anonymous said...

Hey Liz, I assised on a shoot of the American Idol judges today. I thought I'd tell you since your blog is the closest thing I could think of that would be interested in such news. Paula Abdul commented on how good my iPod playlist was and hugged me on the way out. If you want the exclusive insider information that they were talking about with regards to the canidates I can be persuaded to divilge :)

Liz said...

Totally, Dylan! That's so cool! If you have time, you should email me an account of your "insider experience," and I'd be psyched to post it!

Anonymous said...

So I'm not a tv blogger and I only have one cat, but I don't understand the complaints about this show being too familiar. Yes, it is like Sports Night, but that was a great show that was dead before it's time. Yes, it is like West Wing, but that show was also great (mainly during the Sorkin years). I'd rather see a smart, funny show that reminds me of other shows I also loved than a stupid show that is completely original.

So, for me, Studio 60 is definitely appointment television.

Liz said...

I agree with you, Jessica, (sorry for the late response--I've been without internet), and I love the show. I just feel like it could be MORE. Fresher. I'd like to see it surpass The West Wing, not just rehash it in a different setting, as enjoyable as that would be/is.