Saturday, November 11, 2006

CSI: Outprogrammed

It's getting to be more and more of a chore for me to write these CSI posts. It's all right to watch the episode, but when I sit down to write and I cast my mind over the episode to search out my opinions, I find… nothing. With the exception of Greg's beat down, this season has not grabbed my interest. And the beat down episode was affecting because of how well it was put together, in the case of the actual beat down, and written, in the case of the Sara/Greg scene afterward. Otherwise, I wouldn't care what happened to Greg, as this week's episode proved to me. It's his coroner's inquest, and despite the threats from a smug juror, a politically motivated judge, and an angry brother, I couldn't bring myself to be invested in the verdict. It doesn't help that this subplot should be driven by Greg's inner turmoil – his guilt over Demetrius' death, the need to reach out to the family – and Eric Szmanda is basically sleepwalking through the episode. I was also, as I was watching the inquest, comparing it unfavorably to any given episode of Justice. And it wasn't just "Damn, I wish we had some Victor Garber up in here." Because say what you want about Justice, but it knows how to keep your eyeballs glued to the screen once you start watching.

I don't know that it's CSI's fault. It's not a bad show. But there's a better show on at the same time, and in a couple of weeks, another show, also better, will move into the same time slot. ABC, NBC, and CBS have forced me to make a choice – and CBS lost. So long, CSI. I'll check in on you when Grey's and Scrubs are both repeats.

7 comments:

liylak said...

Yes! Justice love!

Lori said...

Sadly, it seems like the only love Justice is getting, now that Fox has pulled it. Are they really surprised it didn't do well against Heroes?

Anonymous said...

Has Fox ever learned that none of its shows do well at the get go if faced with actual competition (thus not counting The OC starting in the summer) and that usually their shows thed to build an audience over time (24, American Idol, House)? But yes, Justice has everything I usually am tired of on TV these days. A PROCEDURAL show about LAWYERS with SLICK visuals yet I'm totally HOOKED. Love me some Victor Garber! (and Eammonn Walker and Jack McPhee doesn't hurt)!

Anonymous said...

uh. I meant "tend to build". not thed... (its monday morning people... I can barely type normally already).

liylak said...

Wait, WAIT, they pulled it!? I missed that announcement. No! I am so sad!

No joke, why don't they realize it is all about timeslot? And they have such great potencial for character development. Oy.

Liz said...

Well, they're doing that vague "It could return in January, depending on returning shows..." thing, so it's not 100% gone for good, I don't think, but it's definitely gone for now, and it's not looking too good for the future.

Lori said...

It's sad that the networks have been less and less patient with allowing their shows to build an audience. Honestly, it surprises me that any shows get beyond their first seasons. Justice, I think, could have been a solid show for Fox, and yet they chose to get rid of that and keep airing Til Death. Yes, that show is still on.