Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Veronica Mars: Enough With the Excuses!

Okay, all these excuses they keep making are really annoying. This week, for example, Wallace is gone, supposedly having a marathon study session/Shining reenactment out in Twentynine Palms. I'm actually glad that they've stopped making excuses for Mac, because I don't think I could have stood them week after week. And no, she's not back yet.

So, overall, kind of a slow episode, one that seems to be just buildup for the final act. But we'll get to that. Keith is still seeing Harmony, and the only thing that can dissuade him is Veronica's disappointment. Vinnie, however, tries very hard with some blackmail. He's got compromising photos of Keith and Harmony, uses them to get a payoff, and tells Keith the Fitzpatricks want to know where the money Kendall skipped town with is. Do they not know she's dead? You know, usually I don't care about the Fitzpatrick storylines, but Vinnie somehow makes it worth paying attention to. I still don't care that much, but it's more than I usually do.

Veronica's case revolves around a girl, Meryl, missing her boyfriend, and while Meryl insists that something happened to him, Veronica is sure that he's just run out on her. Veronica is, in fact, very mean on this point, but then, she has that kind of boyfriend. Meryl is right, because her boyfriend has a case of amnesia that sweetly clears up as soon as he sees her. All together now: awww. Veronica's boyfriend? Well, his seeeeecret alibi for Mercer involves a fire at a Mexican motel and some running away. Yeah, he's a prince. He semi-redeems himself by coming to Veronica's aid when she's roofied and cornered in a parking garage. A couple of locks of hair are shorn off, but otherwise she seems to be okay. All right, I will give him points for saving her from the rapist, but all that does is move him up from "terrible boyfriend" to "just plain bad boyfriend." And this is only partly based on Logan as a person. Mostly I don't like the way he treats her - keeping things from her, ditching her to surf/gamble/burn Mexican motels down, asking her to get off his bratty, fratty friends, etc. I miss when they hated each other. Those were good times. Good times.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I love Logan, but Logan as boyfriend is not turning out to be so great. It actually kinda makes me miss Duncan (shock). The hatred but secretly I want to kiss you banter between Logan and Veronica was much better.

As for Vinnie? LOVE Vinnie. Ken Marino makes the most of the character, which is especially surprising if you remember him from Leap of Faith (with Sarah Paulson (Studio 60) and Lisa Edelstein (House)) where he played the straight laced guy friend. So fun to watch (even though I agree the Fitzpatrick story has run its course and I'm never sure it was ever that interesting even with Kendall Casablanca).

liylak said...

When I saw Veronica leave her drink, I was all, "oh dear lord, DON'T DRINK it," and then when she felt drugged but LEFT the cafeteria? Um... worst detective ever.

I am actually interested to see where the Fitzpatrick storyline goes. I think it's going to be brother v. brother -- one knows she's dead, another does not, I think. The might still just believe that she is missing. Also -- I don't really think we ever got an explanation about what her true involvement with them was.

Hmm...

Has for Harmony: her hands are weird.

Anonymous said...

haha. I noticed the hands too...

Liz said...

Yeah, seriously! Why the hell would she wander out if she was feeling drugged? She even has experience being drugged, as she pointed out.

Also? Yaaay Vinnie!